Monday, January 7, 2008

First Post

Hi guys, welcome to the blog.  As it says on my profile, I'll be a Masters runner later this year and I'm looking to participate in both the Track and Field season this summer (800m, 1500m, mile) as well as running some 5k's and 10k's throughout the year.  Next year I may look to add some longer races to the mix.

I started running in September '07 and began actually "training" in November.  Before that I haven't run much since HS.  Actually, outside of a 7 month period in 2004-2005, I have done almost no running for about 20 years.  I ran track back in HS and was a state section level sprinter (100m thru 400m) back when all the girls wore spandex and had really big hair.  (or were they just the guys on MTV?)  In any case, I'm looking to see what a former sprinter whose been away from the sport for almost 20 years can do.

I'm just figuring out how to get all of the info I want to post up on the page - some background info, goals for the season, training log, etc. - and I hope to have that done in the next few days.

For now, I just wanted to get today's workout up on the board:

Today was a Threshold running day w/ a few easy miles to follow.  The workout was to be three 1-mile repeats at Threshold pace w/ a 1-minute rest between each mile.  As is typical for me, the T-running was done at the track.  At this point, my T-pace is about 6:16/mile, but being that I haven't done a single run above MP in over a week due to the holidays, I felt like kicking it up a little bit.  I wound up hitting the first mile at 6:02, which was a little faster than I wanted to go.  I dialed down the remaining 2 miles to 6:07 and 6:06 which felt about right as the second half of the last mile had my HR pegged at about 92% of max-HR.  (a little above the 88%-90% target of my T-running due to the 10 second/mile increase in pace)  I finished up w/ 5 fairly easy miles in the hills at a 7:38 pace.  (I'll be showing the elevation profile of this trail where I do most of my easy runs)

Training:  9 miles (including warm up) w/ 3 mile repeats at T-pace minus 10-seconds 6:02, 6:07, 6:06 - followed by 5 miles at 7:38 pace.

No comments: